The Bressler Prize in Vision Science, established in 2001 and first presented in 2003, is awarded to a person whose research has resulted in translation of medical or scientific knowledge into significant advancements in the treatment or rehabilitation of people with vision loss. Their efforts will have directly contributed to the mission of Lighthouse Guild to inspire people who are visually impaired to attain their goals.
Wiley A. Chambers, MD is the recipient of the 2023 Bressler Prize for supervising new vision therapeutics at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Dr. Chambers, a Supervisory Physician at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has been responsible for the clinical review of new ophthalmologic drug products and ophthalmic therapeutic biologic products submitted to the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research for the past 35 years.
We are currently accepting nominations for the 2024 Bressler Prize and Pisart Award. The deadline for submission for the 2024 awards program is March 1, 2024.
About the Prize
- The Bressler Prize includes an unrestricted cash award of $25,000.
- Open to established vision clinicians or scientists whose leadership and research has led to substantive advancements in the translation of understanding of vision loss to the treatment of eye disease or the rehabilitation of people with vision loss. Nominees should be clinically and/or scientifically accomplished and their accomplishments must exhibit immediate clinical relevance.
- Open to candidates from the United States and all countries.
- A letter of nomination must be submitted with a nomination application for each individual candidate.
- The letter of nomination must establish the individual’s contributions to translating knowledge about vision loss into treatment of eye disease or rehabilitation of people with vision loss.
- The letter of nomination must be submitted on the letterhead of the organization or academic institution of the nominator and include his/her full name and title.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae for the nominee must be included with the application.
- Colleagues or professionals may make nominations.
- More than one individual may be nominated from any academic institution or organization.
- Nomination applications must be submitted online.
- March 1, 2024: Closing date for nominations and receipt of all supporting documents for the 2024 Bressler Prize.
- Spring 2024: Bressler recipient announced.
Questions? Call us. Ms. Fernanda Garcia-Piña, Director of Research Operations at 212-769-7833.